Sunday, September 25, 2011

EWOT Goggles #3

Last night, I had to deal with an important cost/benefit analysis connected to my participation on the baseball team here at the U of R. I made a decision on a situation using the economic theory we learned in class about cost/benefit.

This weekend, our baseball team hosted a number of recruits to visit the school for the weekend. Just to give a little insight, the typical recruit stays with a player on the team overnight and then spends the following day with him. The two recruits our team was hosting were staying in the Wilder Residential Hall- one of them in the Wilder Suite I live in (I'll call him John), and the other with the other Wilder Baseball Suite (I'll refer to him as Scott).

As I mentioned above, Scott was scheduled to stay in the other Wilder Suite while John was already settled in and set to sleep on the couch I have in my common room.

In the other suite, however, a player's friend had come in for the weekend to visit, and he was sleeping on the couch in the other suite.

Long story short, Scott didn't have a place to sleep at all- no extra bed/couch to sleep in. It was 10:30pm, pretty much the entire baseball team was out and about for the night, and I was left having to solve a problem that truthfully, shouldn't have been my worry- I did my job by hosting John, the other suite was irresponsible for not having a place for Scott to sleep.

Because I was the only baseball player left with the two recruits, I had a decision to make, which I thought of in economic terms:
  1. Go to sleep and forget about finding Scott a bed.
  2. Go out of my way to find the recruit a bed.
Here were the cost/benefits of my decision:

1. Go out of my way to find Scott a bed to sleep in.
I had a decision to make last night: to sleep or not to sleep.
The benefit of not sleeping outweighed the cost, which led
me to my decision of choosing option 1- find Scott a bed.
  • Cost: Lose sleep because I'd have to go to bed later than I wanted. I had to wake up early the next morning to go and do my homework, so a result of me having to go to bed later would be having to wake up later the next morning, and thus, getting started on my homework later.
  • Benefit: I'd be making sure that Scott has a good experience on his visit, which in turn might make him more likely to decide to come to Rochester (that is, assuming that in his mind, sleeping on the floor/in a chair would make his visit miserable). By coming to Rochester, Scott would definitely help our team out as he is a very good player. So therefore, the end benefit is that the baseball team at Rochester gets better.
2. Go to sleep and forget about finding Scott a bed and let Scott worry about where he was going to sleep on his own.
  • Cost: Lose out on adding a very talented player to our team because of the fact that by not finding him a bed, he would probably have a miserable time on his visit because he'd be uncomfortable sleeping.
  • Benefit: I'd get more sleep and thus I'd be looking out for myself as opposed to the betterment of the team. By going to sleep and letting Scott figure out his own sleeping arrangements, I'd be able to wake up earlier and get more of my homework done the following day because I'd be able to get to the library sooner.
The decision:

I chose decision 1 because I thought to myself how in the long run, potentially adding Scott to our team would be a much better benefit to receive than I could receive in option 2. In the end, after about 45 minutes of calling my friends, I found Scott a bed in the Tiernan Residential Hall. I may have lost 45 minutes of sleep, but I truly feel it was worth it.

In short, in my mind, the benefit of option one far outweighed the cost while the benefit for option two did not outweigh the cost. If we lost the chance to add a very good player to our program, I knew I'd regret making that decision down the line, which is why I decided to go with option 1.

I sincerely hope Scott had a good time on his visit- I guess I will learn next year if my decision was actually worth it when I see whether or not Scott decides to enroll at UR.

No comments:

Post a Comment