Friday, September 9, 2011

EWOT Goggles Post #1

For my first "EWOT Goggles" post, I'd like to connect something we learned in class with something in my own life.

In the first week of class, Professor Rizzo spent a significant amount of time teaching us about different costs/benefits and the decisions one has to make in life.

Just about an hour ago, I had to make a significant cost/benefit decisions to best make use of my time, specifically when it came to deciding which campus dining hall I should eat at.

The only places to eat on campus for a full meal are Danforth, Douglas, and The Pit.

With this year's influx of new students, the student body has grown in number and it has shown in most of the dining halls.

Here is a picture of the always-over-crowded Danforth Dining Center.
Having to write this blog post left me with a serious economic decision
regarding whether or not it was the best decision to eat lunch there.
Danforth and Douglas are almost always so crowded that to eat a well-balanced and satisfying meal, I'd have to stay there for at least an hour while waiting in long lines to get the food I desire.

At The Pit, however, the waits are not nearly as long because eating at The Pit is not part of the meal plan and it costs extra money to eat there. The Pit also offers filling meals, but one has to pay extra money to eat there since it is not part of the meal plan.

Danforth/Douglas does have overall better food though, while The Pit is more cafeteria-like and is not as high-quality.

But as I write this, it is 12:30pm and I have to get this blog post written before 2pm because I have baseball practice and I don't want to be writing this post later tonight after practice because I will probably be very tired.

So at 11:30am, I had to get something to eat so that I had sufficient energy to perform well in practice. I had a decision to make- should I go to Danforth/Douglas or go to The Pit?

Here was the cost/benefit breakdown that I had to consider:


Douglas/Danforth- 

  1. Cost: Having to wait a long time to eat a satisfying meal, thus giving up valuable time that could've been spent writing this blog post.
  2. Benefit: Being able to enjoy my meal by eating the highest-quality food on campus, which could also allow me  to perform better at baseball practice because of having more energy.


The Pit:
  1. Cost: Having to eat lesser quality food that I might not enjoy as much as Danforth/Douglas and, not to mention, the lower quality food might leave me with less energy for practice which might cause me to perform poorer.
  2. Benefit: By going to The Pit, I'd be done my meal a lot faster and have more time to write a good blog post.

The winning dining hall was The Pit, where I was forced to eat less-quality
food, but was left with more time to work on this EWOT Goggles blog post.
After considering both options, I decided to go to The Pit because my baseball coach always tells us that school comes before baseball. On that note, I figured that I would be better off taking a risk and eating less quality food at The Pit so I could write the best blog post possible for class.

Thus, in my mind, the benefit of eating at The Pit exceeded the cost more than the Danforth/Douglas benefit exceed the Danforth/Douglas cost.

And now I am finished this blog post just in the nick of time- right before I need to head off to the field for practice. I hope I made the right decision.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent cost-benefit analysis! I agree with everything you said. I find that the serving sizes at Panda Express are HUGE (more than everything you get at Danforth combined- you would have to stay 2 hours in Danforth to get as much food as they give you at Panda)- but the Panda food is disgusting. I like getting a lot of food in my body, but I always feel terrible afterward. One reason that the food at Panda is so filling is because everything is fried, which makes it even worse for you.
    Also, great job on your other posts. They are all very detailed; you will be thankful when the first midterm comes and you have all of your study tools on this site.

    ReplyDelete